Thursday, July 16, 2009

Think of a wonderful thought...

Sometimes when I get out from under the rock I've apparently been living under, I find the coolest new things (new to me, at least).

For instance, tonight I was browsing iTunes. I'm a huge iTunes nerd. Love. It.

Tonight I was specifically searching for new tunes to put on my son's nighttime playlist. It had been about a year since I created his last playlist, and I wanted to switch things up a bit. I must tell you right now that the playlists aren't typical children's lullabies, oh no, they are not. This music-loving mama includes everything from cinematic scores like from "Chocolat", foreign titles (the last CD had a French pop song on it), old classics from the 1940's and 1950's, Disney movie classics, new Indie songs, a praise and worship song or two, etc. My boy is going to be well-versed in music culture, that's for sure.

I was searching for more classic Disney film songs (like from "Bambi" or "Pinocchio" or "Snow White") and stumbled across these little Disney storybook things. Part Disney movie soundtrack, part narration -- they are way cool. In fact, I guess they are pretty similar to the little book/record (or cassette tape, depending on how far back your memory goes) combinations that many of us used to own back in the day. I have so many fond memories of my little records full of classic songs and stories. Most of the ones I found, such as "Bambi", "Peter Pan", "Toy Story" and the like, are between 20 minutes and an hour, and they seem to range in price between $2.49 and $4.99. You download them just like any other iTunes selection. If you search for them, type "Disney's Storyteller Series" or "Disney Storyette" in the search box as many of them included those words in the title.


I can't believe it has never occurred to me (until now) to download the audiobooks for kids. This is going to open up our little world, haha! I took my purchase ("Peter Pan", of course) and immediately burned it to a CD for my boy to listen to while he falls asleep tonight. How magical is that?! Falling asleep to one of the most classic little boy stories...

I can't wait to see what else we can download. For other fun classic (non-Disney) children's downloads, check out Kiddie Records Weekly.

2 comments:

@nnie said...

awesome! I am just getting used to itunes and have to say it is very cool. You can also download some selected audiobooks from the library for free. Last week, I put 3 Magic Tree House books on my ipod for Luke. Thanks for the Disney tip!

Party of Five said...

check out storynory too. It's a free podcast with different stories and fairy tales. Cute stuff!