Thursday, August 5, 2010

Free-motion Series: Quilt #4

Back in May, I whipped up a fun little birthday present for my second cousin who was turning 11. She enjoys cooking with her mom, so I figured an apron would be the perfect gift. I used this tutorial, fudging my way as I went by making it a little bigger all the way around -- at age 11, she is already almost as tall as me, so I figured if it fit me, it would work. I picked two coordinating fabrics (actually three if you count the solid pink) and made it reversible, adding her monogram as well to each side. It turned out adorable, and the bonus is that it fits her mom as well. Word on the street is that both of them have worn it!





Anyway, I'm telling you about this gift because it really does have something to do with Quilt #4.

I had leftover fabric from both this apron and from another flag pennant banner (or whatever you call those things) I had made for a friend's nursery, so I made up a little quilt top. Instead of the usual stippling, I tried out the "loopy flower" quilting I had seen here. I figured this quilt top was girly enough to handle it! My flowers don't look quite as perfect as in the tutorial, but regardless I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I used bright pink thread -- the flowers kind of disappear more into the quilt top, but you can see they stand out against the white of the quilt backing. I also had leftover black and white houndstooth which made for great binding.





This quilt doesn't have an intended home yet, but it is a great start to building up a "gift stash". When I need a baby quilt for a girl, this will fit the bill and it's already done!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

very cute! i love that loopy flower pattern!

Melinda said...

Very cute--both of them.
You have done such a great job on these!

Melinda

Happily Ever After said...

I LOVE it! I think it's my favorite yet!

I am SO impressed with your quilts. They're just gorgeous!

Rhonda said...

Ooh, those flowers are REALLY impressive! I might have to commission such cuteness from you one day!

Heather said...

wow! I love this, especially the cool touches you did on the back. I must learn to do this!

Angie said...

Seriously, I can't believe that you've made so many quilts in such a short time. Super impressed.

Amy said...

I love this quilt! Too bad I don't plan on having any more babies. I'm glad I knew you when.