Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Over yonder...

Last Friday I spent the day over yonder in Oklahoma City with my boy, my mom, my sister-in-law and three of my nephews. We had a great time as usual, and this time my sister-in-law had the brilliant idea to get a babysitter for the afternoon so she, my mom, and I could go for a visit to the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. There was an exhibit we wanted to see which was fantastic -- all about Hollywood and fashions from the movies ("Sketch to Screen: The Art of Hollywood Costume Design"). Since I am a huge fan of shows like Project Runway, I knew this would be a great exhibit.

I would love to show you pictures of it, but unfortunately the security guards roaming at will were going to have none of that. So I have no pictures. Trust me, there were some cool costumes to be seen, from Charlie Chaplin's bowler hat to Elle's pink suit in Legally Blonde (hello, tiny!) to Superman's famous tight suit. Some of the costumes were insane, like a 1930's or so Marie Antoinette costume that weighed umpteen pounds, was covered in hand-sewn beads and sequins, and was literally six feet wide across the bottom. I was astounded at the workmanship on some of these costumes.

I was, however, able to take pictures in another wing of the museum where the Dale Chihuly works are.

If you don't know Dale Chihuly, you've been missing out. Gorgeous stuff. I first learned about him up in Tacoma, Washington at the glass museum there, and I've been a fan ever since. That museum was my first taste of glassblowing since they have a working studio on site, and it's one of the reasons I was inspired to make a date two years ago for my husband and I to try it out here in Tulsa. (I highly recommend it; you can read up on our experience here.) One of these days I hope to see one of Chihuly's exhibits where his glass sculptures are featured in outdoor gardens.

Enjoy the pictures...








And what would a good visit be without bringing something homemade? My little three-year-old nephew wanted his own nap mat and cover just like his bigger brother will have at kindergarten, so, being the good auntie that I am, I obliged and made him something his little horse-loving-self would love...


5 comments:

Angie said...

Love, love, LOVE !

Amy said...

Oh, you are a great aunt. Nap mats...how much napping do they really do?

ThatsBaloney said...

That nap mat is awesome!

Rhonda said...

I have seen Chihuly before, but not in person. Unfortunately, only on paper...but even then, the work is SO impressive!

Thanks for the link to your old post. I had no idea that lil ol' me could participate in something so awesome. I'm definitely going to Google it for myself and see if I can talk my hubby into shelling out some dough.

pink cupcake vintage said...

We have a Chihuly exhibit here in Nashville right now too! It's amazingly beautiful!