Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hello, Little Dumplin'.

Hello, Delicious.


Hello, Comfort Food.


Hello, my little Crockpot.


You gotta love it when dinner turns out really well, especially if it is a new recipe. I loved it, the boy loved it, the husband will love it (it's a late dinner night for him), and the dog gave it two paws up when she licked the bowls with abandon. I never really had Chicken 'n Dumplin's as a kid, so I decided it was high time to try it. Now before you go feeling all sorry for me, don't -- my mom made chicken and homemade noodles a lot that were to die for as well as homemade macaroni and cheese. That's right -- I never tried the boxed mac 'n cheese until I was an adult. And no surprise there -- it don't hold a candle to my mom's macaroni and cheese!

I used this as a base, then I made some changes to it like the reviews suggested. Anything with "slow cooker" in the title always makes my ears perk up because it almost equals "easy". So here is really what my little recipe ended up being:

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used a package of 2 giant ones, but I probably should have used a little more, so I think anywhere between 2 and 4 is perfect)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of celery soup (I did buy the fat-free versions of both, which I don't normally do, and it turned out fine)
1 (14 oz.) can of chicken broth (here is where I should've maybe used 1/2 can since I used less chicken, but it still turned out fine)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 (10 oz.) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, torn into pieces

I sprinkled both sides of the chicken breasts with seasoned salt and pepper, then put them in the bottom of the slow cooker along with the 2 Tbsp. of butter. I mixed the cream soups and diced onions in a separate bowl where I also shook in several shakes of the following: dried parsley, poultry seasoning, cumin, more seasoning salt and pepper. Then I poured it all over the chicken. Last I emptied the can of chicken broth in on top. (Like I said above, since I used less chicken than the original recipe called for, I probably could've gotten by with 1/2 the can and it would be a little less soupy, but we were too busy stuffing our faces to complain, so obviously it's fine either way.)

Turn the slow cooker on to high and walk away for 3&1/2 hours or so. Open it up, use forks to shred the chicken in the slow cooker, then tear the pieces of the refrigerated buttermilk biscuits and arrange them on the top, pushing them down a little to where the tops are still showing but the bottom half of them is submerged to soak up the goodness. Cook for another 1&1/2 hours.

That's it.

The reviews were against adding in frozen vegetables since it added extra water, but I do think throwing in a handful or two of baby carrots (you know, those extra petite ones in the produce section) would be delish.

Just so you know, I totally channeled my inner Swedish Chef and sprinkled those extra spices in with finesse.

"see dee shakey dee parsley on dee chick-chick...shakey dee chick-chick on dee chick-ee-boo...oh-kay...bork, bork, bork!"

(Don't tell me you've never channeled your own Swedish Chef -- 'cause you've been missing out if you're not as nerdy as I..)


2 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

hmmm...that may work... I'm not historically a fan of dumplings, but I'm also talking the real kind. Maybe the biscuits would work for me - Steve makes delicious chicken & biscuits, which seems very similar (only via the oven)

Long live the bork!

Unknown said...

We love the swedish chef!