Monday, December 8, 2008

Ballet Shoes

I have been way too busy these last few weeks to watch hardly any TV or movies. My Netflix account has sat dormant, until last week when I finally watched Leatherheads after having had it for two months. When I went to the Netflix website to adjust my queue for the next movie, one of the "suggestions" was this movie. I'd never even heard of it, but as a child I had been a huge fan of the books upon which it was based. I had read every single one of the books by Noel Streatfeild -- Ballet Shoes, Circus Shoes, Dancing Shoes (just to name a few of them). And since they were written in the 1940's, as an adult, I still love the idea of them (since I firmly agree with my late grandmother who always said I was born in the wrong era -- I should have been born in the 1920's). I had no idea a movie had been made about these books, but I was very excited to see what it was about, so I requested it, and last night, although I had a zillion other things I should be doing, I climbed into bed with my laptop and watched this gem of a little movie.



So now I know exactly what I am going to be asking for Christmas -- Ballet Shoes on DVD, please. It is darling. Absolutely darling. The actresses are all fantastic -- it even has "Hermione" from Harry Potter, and "Lucy" (the youngest, I think her name is Lucy) from the Narnia series. The storyline is adorable, the music and the costumes are to die for (since I love all things from that era), and the ending is just too sweet.

If you're looking for a great movie for you (and possibly your daughter, as long as she is old enough for a PG rather than a G rating), you need to check it out. Movies like these are rare finds anymore.

No comments: