Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Buzz, buzz, buzz...

Today I finished up my first June block for Lael for my Honey Bees quilting bee.



(Click on the picture to see it bigger. No, really. I'll wait.)


I must have been crazed to pick such a block, but once I started it was too late to turn back. I found a paper-piecing template online that was adorable, and I didn't let all the teeny tiny pieces scare me off. (Ignorance is bliss, I tell ya'.)

It said it would make a 10" block. It did not.

No problemo -- I added white sashing, which I wanted to anyways, to make it 10". It is not absolutely perfectly square because it will not lay absolutely perfectly flat, which is driving me bonkers, but due to the extreme cuteness of the block, I'm hoping Lael will not mind...

Do I love this block?

Oh heck yes and then some.

And I am dang proud of myself, if it's okay to admit that. I would've never been able to attempt this except for the paper-piecing skills I learned over the past year in my other quilting bee. (Thanks, girls!) The three pages of templates that printed up were not the same scale, so I had to have my husband try and recopy them to match scale-wise. (So if you get a wild hair and think you want to click over and attempt this block, keep that in mind. If you don't rescale them all to match, it won't work out.) There was a lot of seam-ripping, a lot of holding my breath, and a lot of please-Jesus-let-this-turn-out-after-all-this-effort going on. Jesus might have a few bigger matters in the world to attend to, but that didn't stop me from hoping He wanted my block to turn out okay. Ha.

The second block has not been started, but it probably won't be quite as intricate as this wonky little farmhouse, just to put that out there. What to do, what to do...

8 comments:

Angie said...

VERY cute!

Also wanted to know where you went blueberry picking?

mo said...

I Love it! I love the tree and I love the little porch rails. Well done!

Tina said...

love your block. the fabrics really make it so cute.

Kristin Ann said...

Wow! I am so impressed. If I did that, I'd frame it and hang it on my wall!

Lael said...

It is awesome. Really leaves one to imagining that they are rocking on the front porch. The bunny off the front-so cute. Goes without saying that I love it. AND it's probably flatter than mine own squares :)

Anonymous said...

That is the CUTEST quilt square I have ever seen! I love it!

The Busters said...

You are amazing!! Did I tell you that I used a sewing machine this past weekend and I made a dress? Yes, you read that sentence correctly!! I still need to make straps for it but I am pretty pleased with myself!! :) Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Heather said...

Oohhh! I LOVE this!!! So pretty :) awesome job quilter!~!~!