Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bag Lady

Just call me the "Bag Lady".

Last week, I decided to try and tackle a few things around the house while my husband was gone, you know, to surprise him when he came home. I cannot tell you how many projects are on my to-do list that have gone unfinished for years, and when I finally tackle them and they take a surprisingly small amount of time to actually finish, I am so ashamed. So very ashamed for putting these projects off for so long. This is one of those projects.

In our kitchen, we hang a plastic bag from Walmart, Target, etc. on one of the upper cabinet knobs and fill it with garbage every day before throwing it out the side door to the trashbins. Oh yes, we are classy that way. Super classy with our garbage bags hanging from the knobs. It drives my mother crazy.

But you know what? We live that way. And it works for us. And if you think about it, we are oh-so-green for repurposing the bags, right?

So, this means I have a plethora of plastic bags waiting in the wings to be used. Once upon a time, we had one of those fabric tube things that you can stuff them all into. It was super ugly, something I think we picked up from the grocery store when we lived up in Minne-SOH-ta. It did the job though, until it got so many holes in it that we had to throw it away. Since then, we've been stuffing them behind our pet food containers in the closet under the stairs.






I told you we were classy.

I figured it was high time to do something about that. So I dug through my fabric stash, picked out a larger cut of fabric (it was probably about a yard, I'm guessing), found enough elastic and ribbon, and got to work. Using this tutorial, I was able to sew up two grocery bag holders with materials I already had in my stash. Costing me NOTHING. And yes, we had more than enough bags to stuff both of them with. So now I have one hanging in the basement (for kitty-poo-scooping-from-the-litterbox purposes, sorry if that is TMI) and one hanging at the top of the basement stairs where I can easily access it from the kitchen every time I need a new garbage bag.




Because yes, we still hang our garbage bag every day from the cabinet knobs. We just can't help how classy we are.

Some things may never change...

6 comments:

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

Wow. that is super cute. I am so jealous. One day you should teach me to sew.

~Kathryn

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

Wow. that is super cute. I am so jealous. One day you should teach me to sew.

~Kathryn

Heather said...

Hehehehe, well, I think you're super classy! This is a great idea. I need to do this. I stick my bags between the refrigerator and the wall....now THAT"S classy! ;)
I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying Courting Morrow Little! You'll have to tell me what you think when you're done!~ laura's a great writer!

Melinda said...

Very nice. Love the print! We have our bags stuffed in another bag hanging from a hook in the closet across from the kitchen.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Melinda

Anonymous said...

There's something about those bags...they just seem to multiply when you are not looking! Love your bag of bags!

Thyen Party of Four said...

HA! We're classy too :) We have ours hanging from walmart/target/shaws bags on the door nob in the laundry room off the kitchen - lol We, however, do not have the fun storage sack you now have :)