Friday, May 29, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday

Since we finally enjoyed a drama-free week here in Wonderland, I am hopefully back to my old tricks...

Here is today's vintage offering:


(As always, click on the photo for a closer look.)

Here are my grandparents on my dad's side, June 1949 (hooray for dated pictures!), probably either off the coast of Florida or glorious Cuba. I still can't believe my grandparents were so fortunate to get to vacation in Cuba. I remember my grandmother telling me how beautiful it was, and, of course, from what Hollywood has told me about Cuba, I would love to see all the beautiful old cars next to all the colorful buildings.

I am 32 years old today, and all the way back in 1949, my grandparents (remember these are not my great-grandparents but my grandparents) they would've already been in their 40's, I believe. Possibly even mid-40's, at that point. Crazy, huh? I have no idea if my dad (their only child) would've been on this trip or not. If so, he would've been about 13 years old. I don't know a ton about my grandfather since he died right before I was born, but I think he was a pretty quiet man, and I know that he worked on the railroad or for the railroad most of his life.

I love this photo for it's simplicity -- the non-emotion on their faces, their stance in the water, and the swimsuit on my grandmother.

Happy Vintage Photo Friday, everyone!

3 comments:

ThatsBaloney said...

I love old pics!

cornel said...

beautiful vintage image !

ThatsBaloney said...

By the way - left you something on my blog.