Monday, June 22, 2009

Just the little things floating around in my head

I just ate my last Cadbury egg. Not kidding. And in case you were wondering, they still taste just as delicious, if not more so, in June.

***

Lately the boy has been into two things: whether or not certain foods make you "skong" (strong) and words that rhyme. For instance, today he was talking at the dinner table and out of the blue, exclaimed, "Cheese and pease (please) rhyme!" as if he had just discovered The New World. Of course, we showered him with praise, and after a few minutes, he declared, "Butt and food rhyme!"

{Insert horrible record scratching sound here.}

Um, say again?

Unfortunately we had to break it to him that the words "butt" (which, by the way, is not thrown around a lot in our household) and "food" do not, in fact, rhyme. Try saying all that with a straight face.

***

And for what it's worth, I think Jon and Kate are both cowards. At the most, the announcement should have been that they were separating, leaving the show, and seeking marriage counseling to try and pull their family back together. I don't really think that announcing a divorce and continuing on with the season shows good judgment or good parenting. I'm not taking away from the fact that, yes, they obviously had some problems. Anyone could see that. But anyone who is married knows that marriage is a lot of work, and letting the media and the rest of the world in on your business and all that entails isn't exactly the way to try and build it back up. I personally think they were both fools to allow the show to continue as long as it has. There had to have been a point somewhere in there that it would have been wise for them to take a step back, stand up for their marriage and their kids, get themselves out of the spotlight, and at least try to fix things in private. You know, there was speculation by the media on both parts about affairs -- him with the younger women, her with her bodyguard -- but the truth is, they both had an affair when you think about it. They allowed a third party into their marriage: the media and the rest of the world. Major mistake. And yet a major mistake that they could still fix. Hello, Earth to Jon and Kate -- GET OFF THE SHOW! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN! I've only watched the show occasionally, but I've seen enough on the news to keep me up-to-date. It just makes me sad. Sad for them, and sad for their kids.

Sorry to get up on my soapbox, but hey, it's my blog.

6 comments:

Mushyhed said...

I soooo agree with you on everything you just posted about John & Kate except I don't feel sorry for them. I DO, however, feel sorry for their kids. I think when J&K started to make serious money from the show, they got caught up in it and that's just so sad!! In my opinion, their kids will eventually pay the price. The saying that money can't buy happiness rings so true here.

ThatsBaloney said...

I agree with you! I don't watch any reality shows (just don't appeal to me) but I catch clips on The Soup and that's enough for me!

@nnie said...

I wouldn't ever ever ever be able to even OWN a Cadbury egg in June, approaching July, because I would eat all mine by April 30th, at the latest. I AM the Cadbury Queen. I've got a craving for the mini eggs now and my craving won't be satisfied for another 9 months, thank you very much.

on another note, I almost blogged about Jon and Kate tonight too. I have watched less than 5 shows, but I find it incredibly depressing that they are announcing their divorce and moving on with the show. Isn't TLC supposed to be The Learning Channel? Exactly what are we learning? Honestly, it makes me want to throw up. I feel for those kids so much.

Ok. sorry for getting on my soap box. After all, this is YOUR blog. :-)

katie said...

TOTALLY agree with you, Val. Good insight... you should email them! ha! They both seemed selfish to me and not doing all that they could before making this decision. Very sad.

On another note, I'm so sorry about your mom's bracelet. I've felt so bad for her!!!

Alexis said...

I agree too. How do you have eight kids and not try counseling before you get divorced? Also, it should be illegal to exploit children the way that they do!

Tricia said...

Random Early Childhood Education Fact: Understanding rhyme is one of the first steps towards reading. So, wait to go Henry!

Other Randomness: Jake and I were watching Channel Six news tonight and we saw Doug talking about his new tag. It's always fun to see someone you know on the news!