Monday, September 7, 2009

The sweetest prayer

If you are my Facebook friend, you'll have already read this, but I just had to share. Tonight I was putting my four-year-old son to bed, and just like we normally do every night, I read him a book. (Two, actually.) I let him pick the second book out, and he picked one of his Bible story books, from a collection of thin little reads that my mom saved from my brother and I's childhood. They are written in a sing-songy poetry style, and the illustrations are great, as long as you can get past the 1970's vibe they have going on, haha. He specifically picked the one about the man chosen from the crowd to carry the cross for Jesus. We read the book, I tucked him in bed, and I asked him to say his little nighttime prayer. I fully expected him to carry on, thanking Jesus for all the things throughout his day, or all the dogs, or family members, etc. But instead I got this:

"Thank you, God, sending Jesus die on the coss (cross). Thank you carry coss for Jesus. Thank you Jesus take my sins. A-men!"

I tell you what, I thought I was going to melt into a puddle of mush right there on his bed. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I couldn't have been prouder. Those little four-year-old ears really do pick up on a lot, and he apparently has been paying attention to all of the Bible stories, even when I thought he wasn't.

It's my prayer as he grows that all of these stories and Bible verses will stick with him, and that he will learn to depend on God and yearn for a relationship with Jesus.

Be still my heart. :)

6 comments:

@nnie said...

For all those momma moments we want to crawl under the rug or duck into our cars, or never come out of the bathroom stalls, moments like THAT make it all worth it.

ThatsBaloney said...

So sweet. I would have cried.
Why are we not facebook friends?

Unknown said...

awww that brought tears to my eyes...how incrediably awesome and I would be proud as well...
sniff sniff

Unknown said...

What a sweet and special moment you got to be a part of!

The Busters said...

He is pure preciousness! Give him a hug from me! :)

MOMSWEB said...

What a blessing and thanks for sharing. Tooo sweet! Enjoyed my visit to your bloghome; I'll be back!