Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Leaving Stars Hollow

Today it is raining. Raining, raining, raining. All the pouring down seems very fitting for today, a day that is very bittersweet. You see, today my husband and I will be leaving Stars Hollow.



Yes, Stars Hollow from the "Gilmore Girls". :) Let me fill you in -- last summer, there was nothing on TV but reruns. And who wants to spend their summer watching reruns? Not us. A good friend had just recently been talking about one of her favorite TV shows, one I had never watched a single episode of while it was on TV. So I thought to myself, why not? I added Season One, Disc One to my Netflix queue, and the rest is history. I, of course, was hooked after the first episode, but little did I know that my husband would jump on the Gilmore Girls bandwagon with me. He came in the living room with his laptop during the second episode, and ever since, we have watched every single episode together.

But it all will end tonight. The final disc arrives today, and it has the last two episodes on it. I wish I could tell you I was on the edge of my seat with anticipation wondering how it all ends, but alas, I cheated a couple of months ago and looked online to see how it all goes down. Come on, don't tell me you guys would all be able to make it through all seven seasons to the very end without peeking?

Seriously, I think Gilmore Girls is now my favorite show EVER. I want to live in Stars Hollow. I want my house to feel as lived-in and as quirky and as cozy as Lorelai's house. I want to have a Luke's Diner to go to and chat with all the quirky locals and have town festivals and all of it. Oh, how I love everything about this show! But as sad as it feels to be leaving Stars Hollow, all is not lost. I have actually been "collecting" the boxed sets of all the DVD's so I will be able to start over from scratch when we are done. (My husband, however, did tell me he will NOT be joining me for a second go-round. I'm just proud of him for watching the whole thing through even once, and not being ashamed to tell people he enjoyed it.) So far I have Season's One through Three...

So farewell Rory and Lorelai. We sure have enjoyed spending this past year with you.

If you read this, who is your favorite Gilmore Girls character? I think my husband's is probably Kirk. Haha. Hmm, mine might be a toss-up between Babette and Lorelai, but I think my favorite character changes with every episode...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thyen Party of Four said...

What a sad day indeed! I am a Sookie and Emily fan - could I pick two more opposite!? I can honestly say however, there hasn't been a character that I couldn't at least appreciate.

amylouwhosews said...

I really liked Sookie - but it's hard to pick a favorite. I have to say, I was sad when it was done too - but even more sad that I feel like the charachters got all wonky when they got new writers/directors. Still a great show though!