Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Break Project #1

I'm happy to report that I have at least jumped in and gotten my feet wet on this whole "to do" list adventure. I started this quilt back in, well, it's been so long that I can't honestly tell you when I actually started it (other than sometime in 2007), that's how sad I am. This quilt top has sat for many months unfinished, so I unearthed it yesterday and added the outside borders. Of course, the borders didn't take all that long to add, and once again, I look back wondering why I let it sit so long unfinished. Tonight I hope to sew the backing, cut the batting, and fold it all up to take to be professionally quilted by someone with a long-arm quilter. My plan is to drop it off tomorrow.



The pattern is called "Buttons and Bows" by Glenna Hailey of Hollyhock Quilts. I am renaming it "Birds of a Feather" since I didn't quite follow all of the rules (when do I ever) and replaced the flowers and stars that were supposed to be appliqued in the plain blocks with various bird silhouettes. I couldn't tell you what fabric lines were used because this came out of a quilt kit I purchased in 2006 (I think) at a local quilt shop that is no longer in business. The quilt top is 50"x60". Depending on how it looks after it has been quilted -- since the quilting can oftentimes completely change the look of a quilt -- I may add on a quote to the front, putting a couple of words on each square. I would handsew them on just like the label on the back.

No comments: