Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sweet escape

My trip this week was PERFECTION. Absolutely fantastic. Packed to the brim with the most fun you could possibly stuff into less than 48 hours.

I flew to Nashville to hang with my good friend, C, from college, and my sister-in-law, M. A couple of months ago I saw that one of my favorite singers was coming to Nashville (nowhere near where I live, by the way) and asked my dear husband if I could buy tickets and go. Sweet thing that he is, he told me to get them before they sold out and he would watch our child for a few days so I could make a trip of it. I LOVE spontaneous trips like this! Anyway, I should have known, that a couple of days with C and M couldn't be anything less than fabulous.

Here's the low-down of what we crammed into less than 48 hours:

After my flight landed, C and I went back to her apartment and watched this movie before catching some zzz's...


Tuesday morning we got up and drove to meet M for this crazy tour of Nashville...

Oh. my. goodness. These two ladies, the "Jugg Sisters", were flat out hilarious. I have never laughed so hard in my life. For over an hour and a half, they drove us around in their flamingo pink schoolbus, pointing out a few sights and giving us the "dirt" on Nashville. Everything they said was totally off-color and offensive (not normally my cup of tea), but the way their comedy act was, you just couldn't help but die laughing. I highly recommend it if you ever find yourself in Music City. (www.nashtrash.com)

After my stomach muscles finally relaxed from all that guffawing, we drove over and had the best burgers I've ever put in my mouth at Five Guys Burgers (www.fiveguys.com), where I was presented with the most fabulous birthday presents (the big day is coming this weekend) -- an iTunes gift card from C (who knows me well and my love of "mix CDs") and a gift card (from M and the whole family) to this store...

Anyone who remotely knows me knows my extreme fascination, um, who am I kidding, let's just say it, OBSESSION, with all things Anthropologie. It is a darn good thing there is no Anthropologie here in Wonderland. And yes, it is a very sad fact that the gift card lasted for a mere 30 minutes in my hot little hands before I we scurried over a couple of blocks to spend it. But hey, at least I enjoyed spending it!

The fun surprise after Anthropologie (as if life could get any better) was a trip to get a box of...

...delicious gourmet cupcakes. We bought a half-dozen of various flavors -- wedding cake, birthday cake, Boston creme, Texas milk chocolate, apple spice, and darn it if I can't remember that sixth flavor. We tried a different one every few hours to make them last. De-lish!

Dinner was in East Nashville at a hip Mexican eatery called Rose Pepper. It was beautiful weather so we sat on their outdoor patio, and we especially enjoyed our appetizer of fried avocado slices.

Finally, the climax of the trip -- the concert!!! We drove downtown to this historic venue...

(the historic Ryman Auditorium, original home to the Grand Ole Opry)
to see this ultra-cool girl perform...

Let me just tell you, KT Tunstall puts on a pretty fine concert. Since it was really a tour of her second album, I was afraid she would play less of the first album (my favorite), but such was not the case and I was pleasantly surprised to hear ALL of my favorites. Not only is she a talented singer, but she is a true musician that can play instruments and write songs, a rarity in today's day and age.

And then yesterday, my last day in Nashville, we topped off the trip with a delicious breakfast of homemade Swedish pancakes made by M (who treats me like a queen every time I visit with this breakfast since she knows how much I love them) and then a quick trip to this new place...

(myself, M and C)
Gourmet popsicles! Who would've thought?! Mine was delicious -- blueberry chocolate chip, and both C and M got kiwi, which tasted just like frozen pureed kiwis. Yum. We swung by "Music Row" where all the music publishing houses and recording studios are, saluted to RCA/Victor (where Elvis recorded) and Word Records (where C did an internship), and then it was time for me to go to the airport.

Seriously, the trip couldn't have been more fun if we tried.

I'll leave you with videos of two of my favorite KT Tunstall songs...


No comments: