Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Getting my craft on

Others may bring the sexy back. Me? I bring the random back. Boy, do I ever...

***

While my three-year-old was pulling out a tape measure, the following was overheard:

"One minutes, two minutes, fee minutes...TIME TO GO!!!!!!!"

***

Overheard this morning at breakfast:

"Cereal makes you skong." (strong) -- I will not tell him to change how he says "strong" -- it is way too cute as it is, especially when he lifts up his little arms and flexes his biceps every time he says it.

***

Apparently we have the official Welcome Wagon at our house. One evening last week I let our two bigger dogs out in the front yard to do their business. A young couple was walking by and our son stood in the doorway and yelled out:

"WHAT YO NAME?" -- several times before they realized what he was asking. They politely answered and asked him his name, which he promptly screamed out, followed by the question:

"YOU COME A MY HOUSE? YOU COME A MY HOUSE TUESDAY? PEASE? PEASE, PEASE??" (Tuesday is the only day he seems to know as everything happens either "last night" or "Tuesday".)

The best part might be the fact that he was standing in the doorway in a t-shirt (little white Hanes undershirt) and his underwear (of the Superhero variety), with his skinny little three-year-old boy bare legs. It would have been perfect if I had been next to him, barefoot and pregnant (of which, no, thank you, I am not).

I'll be on the lookout today for any visitors we might have eventually take him up on his offer. The boy is nothing short of persistent. And much like the great Will Rogers, he never met a man he didn't like. Oh yeah, the "stranger danger" conversation is going to be a fun one...

***

Just in case we all forgot this is actually supposed to be a crafty blog, I have been doing a lot of sewing this past week. I cranked out three reversible superhero capes for birthday presents -- what in the heck will I do when all the little boys in our life have all gotten one? It has been my "go-to" present for almost every little boy we know this year. Then I actually sewed up a little quilt top to donate for my quilting group at church. The other two ladies (both grandma's, mind you) have cranked them all out so far, and my participation has been limited to hand-sewing the binding on (which I am perfectly happy with since that is my favorite part) and making labels on my computer and printing them on fabric. They think I am such a clever little whippersnapper because of those labels, so I'm afraid I was riding on the coattails of that praise for as long as I could, but I finally broke down and contributed a quilt top. Don't look too close as it is far from perfect, but hopefully it will be a comfort to some little kid who could use it. I'll be sure and take another picture of it once it is tied* and bound.


*Our little quilting group is called "Prayers and Squares" and the quilts are all hand-tied instead of quilted on a machine. With each knot that is tied, a prayer is said for the recipient of the quilt. Oh how I love my little quilting ladies.

Last night I also gussied up a handful (okay, more than a handful) of treat bags for my son's upcoming party. I'd show you, but you know how I roll -- there will be a big party post in the near future of all the party details. Super cute, I tell ya'.

And then finally this morning I finally sat down and made one of the April quilt blocks for the Pieced Together Quilting Bee.



It's a log cabin (not wonky like the last time) for Stephanie. I thought I would surely be sending several scraps back with it for her to use, but I barely squeaked by with what she sent, mostly due to not thinking it completely through on my end of things. Thank goodness I ended up with enough, although I feel kind of bad that those outside strips are so narrow. Oh well. Now I need to crank out the other April block, but it may have to wait until after I am done with my sewing for the big partay.

***

Last, but certainly not least, I started reading the book they forced us to buy at the book signing on Sunday. (Go figure -- they actually want you to buy a book to have signed??) I can sum it up in one word so far: HILARIOUS. I am totally loving it.

No comments: