Friday, April 3, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday



(Click on the picture for a closer look.)

This awesome canvas was created especially for my son's nursery. It is a photo of my dad when he was a little tyke. A little background info on when I had this canvas made: my dad passed away the week my son was born (down in Guatemala) -- it was all a bunch of craziness, really -- we had another baby referral actually, and days after my dad passed away, and right before my birthday, we got the call that the baby we were waiting for had been reclaimed by his birthmother. Whether or not that actually happened, who knows, but regardless, it was HORRIBLE timing, especially after the loss of 3 close family members within a month and a half. I expected my dad to live forever and ever (or at least for another 20 years or so), but right after the passing of both of my grandparents (within weeks of each other, and no, I am not kidding), my extremely-healthy-rarely-ever-sick-dad went to the doctor and found out he had Stage 4 kidney cancer and passed away less than a month later. 2005 was truly a bunch of craziness. But we did decide to name our son after him and I was able to tell him this before he passed away (even if he passed away having seen the pictures of the first baby and not the one we actually brought home). So to honor my dad (and since it went along with the vintage cowboy theme of the nursery) I picked this photo to have displayed in my son's room.

Pretty cute, eh? Apparently back in the day, there were traveling photographers who would go door to door and take pony pictures of little kids. So if you've seen similar pictures out there, that's how they all came to be and why they are such a popular picture from that era. I'm guessing this photo was from sometime around 1940-1941.

I loooove this picture.

1 comment:

ThatsBaloney said...

I love that picture too. I'm sorry to hear about your 2005. That's horrible.
My son is named after my father who is deceased. It makes me smile to remember him that way! Then again, it makes me sad for all that we've missed together.