Friday, April 4, 2008

Across the Universe

Man. Jim Sturgess is a force to be reckoned with. You may not recognize his name if you have not yet seen "Across the Universe". It arrived this week in a Netflix envelope, and I am so glad I decided to try it out. I'm usually not a fan of PG-13 movies anymore -- I know, I know, I am really making myself sound like a granny here -- but it is really because they have gotten so much worse and in my mind usually should be rated R instead. It's definitely not a movie for "little eyes" though, so make sure you watch this one after they've nodded off to dreamland. I was very skeptical about watching it -- just the night before I had tried to watch the movie "Once". It had gotten rave reviews for its music and storyline, but I just could not get past the first few minutes and how many times the F-bomb was dropped in a single conversation. This one does have some drugs, sexuality, and nudity, but man, it is a fantastic flick. I'm also not a fan of anything with the whole late 1960's/70's hippie vibe/Vietnam War thing, but again, I really enjoyed this movie. I am amazed at all the work and thought and creativity that went into this movie, and it is incredibly clever how a storyline is woven around these Beatles' tunes. And Jim Sturgess? Incredible singer. Even if you are not a fan of musicals, you might be pleasantly surprised by this one.

No comments: