Thursday, April 10, 2008

Astounding.

I just watched a couple of clips via Yahoo News from a recently aired 60 Minutes segment. The story was about a 28-year-old man named Derek Paravicini, a blind, severely handicapped man who miraculously is also a musical genius. He can play the piano quite brilliantly, and he is even like a human iPod, remembering every song he has ever heard. In the 60 Minutes interview, the reporter asks him to try doing several different things musically, which are impossible for even professional pianists like me to accomplish, none of which seem to be the least bit difficult for him. The guy can't count to ten or dress himself or even go to the bathroom by himself and is likened to a 2 to 3-year-old child, but he pretty much might be one of the most amazing pianists I've ever seen.

I don't know how to link to the videos on Yahoo news, so check them out if you get a chance. I did find this one on YouTube from a couple of years ago that is not the exact same segment, but I'm sure after even just watching a few seconds, you'll be able to see his amazing abilities for yourself.

No comments: